Space Research Centre of the Polish Academy of Sciences (CBK PAN) is one of the leading Polish Institutes in the field of space physics, planetary Geodesy, navigation, remote sensing and space technology development. Since 1977 CBK PAN participated in more than 50 space missions and works with more than a hundred international partners. The institute employs about 180 scientists, engineers and specialists.
Earth Observation Group, as division of CBK PAN, specializes in remote sensing with special interest on:
- Environment – monitoring of land and marine waters at the local and regional level, the assessment of human impact on the environment, satellite climatology (snow cover and clouds monitoring).
- Security and Crisis Management – natural disasters risk assessment (floods, fires) using satellite technology (monitoring developments in time), control of borders, planning large events.
- Spatial planning – analysis of the urban and rural areas for the optimal use of resources
- Education – give workshops and training in the field of Earth observation for End Users, professionals and general society
Our scientists specialize in:
- Processing of satellite data and production of maps
- Image classification: unattended, supervised, object-oriented, hybrid
- Change analysis based on radar (SAR) and multispectral time series
- Natural and environmental indicators
- Spatial analysis and modelling (i.e. indicators of terrain availability and operability)
- Development of algorithms and software for processing and interpretation of data (GIS applications development)
- Validation and Quality control
Earth Observation Group implements international projects of the European Commission (6th and 7th FP) and the European Space Agency (PECS) within the framework of the Earth Observation program development.