The purpose of the EOPOWER project is to create conditions for sustainable economic development through the increased use of Earth observation products and services for environmental applications. This purpose serves the higher goal of effective use of Earth observation for decision making and management of economic and sustainable development processes.
This will be achieved through the following activities:
- Roadshow activities to promote the increased use of EO products and services for environmental applications, including capacity building;
- Portfolio of potential EO applications for economic development and environmental management;
- Enhancement of the resource facility on capacity building in the GEO web portal;
- Establishment of local focal points (nodes) that actively promote and provide capacity building on the use of EO for environmental applications effectively and at low-cost;
- Explore the establishment of a high-level forum of stakeholders (resource providers, international organizations) that have an interest in EO for economic development and environmental applications;
- Establishment of a central feedback node that digests and shares information on incubators, innovation, successes, experiences, visibility and provides brokerage and advice on resource mobilization.
As a result, during the project will be obtained:
- Opportunities created for economic development, in particular in developing countries;
- Key international economic development processes identified that require environmental information and mechanisms to develop them in a sustainable fashion;
- Local communities and authorities have received capacity building and are able to collaborate with international development programs, use environmental EO information and products, and engage resourceproviders;
- Mechanism established to market and exploit EO applications for the creation of new innovative products and support services.
The main objective of this work package is to continue the influence of the GEONetCab project on the creation of conditions for sustainable economic development through increased use of Earth observation applications in Poland and to expand the influence outreach to Ukraine. The other objectives include:- To build capacity of EO on individual and institutional level;- To promote the increased use of EO products and services for environmental and related applications;- To upgrade the portfolio of EO applications for economic development and environmental management in Poland and Ukraine;- To integrate the EO community in Poland and Ukraine and create an integrated source of information about EO resources, capacity building opportunities and for exchange of experiences for stakeholders;- To promote participation of Poland in GEO and GEOSS.
Noort Harmannus Conradus Pieter
Institut de Recherche Pour le Developpement
Centrum Badań Kosmicznych Polskiej Akademii Nauk
Univerzita Karlova v Praze
South Africa National Space Agency
Centre Regional Africain des Sciences et Technologies del’Espace
Aristotelio Panepistimio Thessalonikis
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche
Univerzitet u Novom Sadu
Universite de Geneve
Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais
Turkiye Bilimsel ve Teknolojik Arastirma Kurumu
Project duration: June 2013 to May 2015.